Login
    |

Race server recent changes

Post new topic   { POST_REPLY_TOPIC }    SKC MTA Server Forum Index -> Race Server
Previous topic :: Next topic  
humantraffic
SKC Elite Member
3rd place in Race championship February 20082nd place in Race championship March 20082nd place in Race championship April 20083rd place in Race championship July 20093rd place in Race championship November 20092nd place in Race championship June 20103rd place in Race championship July 2010
3rd place in Race championship August 20103rd place in Race championship January 20112nd place in Race championship February 2011

Posted: 01 Jun 2016, 17:33    Post subject: Race server recent changes

Adiboy came on today for a few races and pointed out various things he didnt like, things I that got changed that were changed back again by someone else (I know, totally Ironic huh Adi? :)

Basically he was picking at the amount racing in GM, it was changed recently for no reason I can see. After a forced GM off map it used to keep you UNghosted, but now after a forced GM map it changes ghosts back into ghostmode. Its a tiny change that almost nobody noticed, but has had an effect.

(Also Neck I think the noob protection 50 points until you can UNghost, it was better idea just for 10pts. Adi didnt like having to get 50pts to race, and it still protects the Racers with only 10pts required)
Profile Send private message
[SKC]botder
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 01 Jun 2016, 22:42    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

It's hard to find a fitting threshold for the ghostmode cap - seriously, you can get your cheap 10 points after 1 round.

And about the ghostmode changing you also have to pick a compromise between playing with laggers or an actual competetive environment.

Everyone can drop their opinion here.
AdiBoy
SKC Elite Member
Winner of Race championship May 2008Winner of Race championship June 20082nd place in Race championship March 2010Winner of Race championship April 20103rd place in Race championship May 20102nd place in Race championship September 20102nd place in Race championship October 2010
2nd place in Race championship January 20113rd place in Race championship February 2011

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 06:54    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

I think it was fine for people who wanted clean races, not for those who just want to have fun. These days I'd just love to go back to racing noobs and trying to avoid all the pileups in order to finish a race.
Rhytz
SKC Full Member

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 10:38    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

I think the AFK and GM system was better before... Its pretty annoying to have to type /afk, press B and F2 again, if you're just doing some admin stuff for 10-20 seconds.

And afaik you cant enable GM during the race when you're about to cause an awful crash
ViRuS
SKC Elite Member
2nd place in Race championship June 2009

Posted: 02 Jun 2016, 16:35    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

I suggest: unlogged people are forced to use ghostmode and get NO points and tops at all - but they are being spammed every race - until they register/login - by a message - REGISTER / LOG IN TO GET RACE POINTS AND TO CHOOSE YOUR GHOSTMODE SYSTEM (+Advantages and disadvantages of both options)
Moreover: when you join a server, you get a window screen that asks you if you want the gm to be off or on (you can tick a remember my choice option)

With that system we can imply stats attached to an account instead of the nickname.

All we need is to find the way to make people interested in racing ghost off.

2nd option is: a vote appearing before the start that asks you if you want to enable ghostmode (press 1 to enable ghost mode). If u don't want to go ghosted (or forget about it) you will simply get a gm off race. Racing unghosted will be default option but you will be given a chance to change it on gm. Tho I don't think it would work cuz of the difference between the players map loading time
humantraffic
SKC Elite Member
3rd place in Race championship February 20082nd place in Race championship March 20082nd place in Race championship April 20083rd place in Race championship July 20093rd place in Race championship November 20092nd place in Race championship June 20103rd place in Race championship July 2010
3rd place in Race championship August 20103rd place in Race championship January 20112nd place in Race championship February 2011

Posted: 03 Jun 2016, 14:38    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

[SKC]botder
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2016, 00:58    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

That should do :)
AdiBoy
SKC Elite Member
Winner of Race championship May 2008Winner of Race championship June 20082nd place in Race championship March 2010Winner of Race championship April 20103rd place in Race championship May 20102nd place in Race championship September 20102nd place in Race championship October 2010
2nd place in Race championship January 20113rd place in Race championship February 2011

Posted: 04 Jun 2016, 18:10    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Why is that option even needed, I thought we already had people joining with gm on and only being able to change it to off for the next race.

As for having a competitive environment, that's what practice servers are for, otherwise just put a password so regular players cannot join, that's much simpler.
[SKC]botder
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 04 Jun 2016, 21:25    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Something like this? I made the other button smaller to hook more people into driving without ghostmode :P

Sputs|uk
SKC Elite Member
3rd place in Race championship August 20082nd place in Race championship January 20102nd place in Race championship August 2010Winner of Race championship April 2011

Posted: 05 Jun 2016, 11:48    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Perfect. Tidy, compact and just enough info.
ViRuS
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 00:19    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Front rows info missing ! I'd make it a window with both options so you can choose whether to play with gm or not (with advantages and disadvantages of both options / possible to contain a small graphic showing that first rows are for gm off users)
Sputs|uk
SKC Elite Member
3rd place in Race championship August 20082nd place in Race championship January 20102nd place in Race championship August 2010Winner of Race championship April 2011

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 15:28    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Yes, play without ghostmode and earn full points.

No, I want ghostmode and only half points.

What other info is needed?
[SKC]botder
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2016, 11:59    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

It shouldn't be bloated with information, because most of the players would rather have a TL;DR explanation and avoid digging through paragraphs. And many people on the server do not have English as their 1st language.
ViRuS
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2016, 16:44    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

So you choose pictures: ghost off with front rows and full points or 2nd picture: ghost on , back rows and half points. Seems great for me and for those who can't read English language
ViRuS
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2016, 16:48    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

And if you choose gm on you get another window saying "are you aware that you will get only half points and back rows?" With options 1) bring me back to gm off 2) yes put me into the ghost :D :D I'm not joking, the 2-grade system will be the best solution cuz actually many people don't even know they can race unghosted
Sputs|uk
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2016, 19:04    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

More windows?? Too much info and windows to click through is an instant turn off. Neck's demo is spot on I think. There's enough info present in that window, honestly. Give players some credit, the finer points they can work out for themselves.
ViRuS
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 12:40    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Look, the main advantage of using ghost off ain't doubled points, but the spawn positions and THIS general info is missing!
Instant turn gm OFF? Sure - that's what I said... but if you choose gm on, you should get the last window asking you "do you really want to do that?" We want more people to get out of the shadow so we should give them possibility to change their mind. Of course they will be able to chose ghost on - go ahead, if you confirm it, then it's your choice.
[SKC]botder
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 16:20    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

Well, there is no problem in adding more points to get people into GM-off racing, but I don't want to piss off people by adding another level of approval. It's like one of these bait-thumbnail videos on YouTube -- "5 ways to improve your racing on SKC with this little trick".
AdiBoy
SKC Elite Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 16:48    Post subject: Re: Race server recent changes

I think if you still want people to choose between modes the old version works, or you could just add some green "+" to point out positives and red "-" for the negatives like:
+ extra points
+ front spawns
+ FUN

GM OFF:

- no fun
- lame

Also add a teamwars event where there is no ghostmode at all.
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Post new topic   { POST_REPLY_TOPIC }    SKC MTA Server Forum Index -> Race Server

Using mChat © phpBB3BBCodes.com